Things I’ve learnt… so far.
I thought it was about time I gave you a little recap of how my freelance life is going! I’ve been freelancing for about a month now and I really happy with how things are going. I’m working on business here in Melbourne but am also managing jobs in Dubai, Brisbane and Perth. So it’s all go! These are a few things that I’ve learnt on my journey so far -
1. It’s good to get out of the house! When you’re working from home it’s easy to turn into a bit of a hermit. I’ve been working in different cafes and making coffee/lunch dates. Last week I met with fellow kiwi Kate Robinson, it was so nice to meet up with a like-minded creative person!
2. Get onto freelance forums. I’ve found Freelance Switch really helpful for articles and answering questions.
3. Learn about tax. After living in a tax free country for the past 5 years this was a big one for me! I’ve enlisted a fantastic accountant and have signed up to MYOB Live Accounts to help with all my invoicing. It’s awesome software that’s really user friendly. I’ve also been asked to contribute to the ATO Small Business Forum so that’s been a great learning resource.
4. Spend time developing your own brand. Take care in designing everything from your business cards to your invoices and receipts. It’s important to have a cohesive brand that appears professional to potential clients.
5. Network. In Melbourne there is always something going on. I’m trying to get out to as many events/exhibitions/creative talks as possible. (On Thursday I’m going to see Frank Chimero speak, can’t wait!). It’s great to support other creatives and to meet new and interesting people. Win win!
So that’s is for now. It’s been a great learning experience so far and I’m really looking forward to the months ahead!